Tuesday, October 4, 2011

BlackBerry day #1

So I've just gotten my new toy/utility tool, which is of course a replacement to my dead Nokia ; The Blackberry Torch 9810.

Now, there have been much debate between the iOS fans, the Android fans and the Berry fans about which OS is better. But I believe that this is all based on what one wishes to use their phone for.

Thinking that I would be more suited with a Berry because I would prefer a utility based device, I got it.

I'll be doing write-ups about my Blackberry to see if it really lives up to the standard of how some people want it to be and whether it is good enough to debunk myths by other fans.


The package

I bought the phone for about RM1.25k with a 2-year contract with DiGi. I subscribed to the BIS plan and a DG 68 smart plan.

That would mean that I'd have to pay RM 78 per month just on Data usages, but then again, going with Maxis would cost me RM90 per month solely on Data usages. Plus, DiGi allows me to use past my monthly quote (3GB), except having a massive speed cut though with no extra charges. While I'll be charged extra with Maxis (I think).

The packaging was good. Unlike my other phone boxes, this one was small despite being one of my bigger phones. Saves the trees! The box came with the phone itself, battery, charger, manual, USB cable, and a set of headphones. Of course including the 18-month warranty from Brightstar along with the manual.

As soon as I plugged the phone to my computer though, I quickly realized that a CD was not provided for the Blackberry Desktop software. Took me quite awhile to find a proper download mirror for the software, but it was no biggy.

I immediately bought a screen protector (a lousy one in fact, screws up my screen resolution, though it's good at keeping the stains away!) and a hard case by Seidio. (The case isn't that nice and the top portion seems to be Seidio's old design that prohibits a whole lot of scrolling on the trackpad)

First impressions

When I first got the phone, I wasn't all too surprised by the weight and the thickness of it simply because I've been using Nokia phones which were reasonably fat. So bulk and weight weren't a problem for me. The screen resolution was pretty good. I would compare this to the Retina display of my iPod touch 4g, but it's hard to make a fair comparison simply because my screen protector screws up the resolution. The keyboard, although small, is amazingly nice to type on. Sure, not as good as the Bold 9900's keyboard (yes, I've handled it before in the store and during the display show by DiGi), but it beats anything else that I've used (which includes Nokia's full QWERTY slide out keyboard on the N97 mini) and definitely better than any touchscreen keyboards. It has this nice feeling to it to make you feel that the keyboard has been pressed. I tried out the keyboard on my friends Curve, it's almost the same I think.

The OS, Blackberry OS 7 is rather decent for an OS. I like how it's not too simple yet simple enough to understand compared to the likes of my old Windows mobile 6.5 phone! It's smooth and fast. After trying out appworld though, I quickly understood why Android and iOS fanboys hated BB OS. The lack of apps is saddening. But with that being said, I do think that there's enough apps out there to get me going. Twitter and Facebook for BlackBerry is certainly not as easy to adapt as one would be able to on an iOS device, but it's good enough I guess.


BBM and being a social climber

Many people have claim to get a BB just for BBM. I never understood why when it seemed to be the same as something like whatsapp. BBM was still really good though, despite having little contacts, it was easy to contact other BBM users in groups or in solo while being able to know stuff about them if they're connected to Foursquare or etc. It's a tad more organized than Whatsapp if you ask me.

Battery life

Many have complained about how BB's have lost their good reputation for their good battery life with the release of the latest OS7 models. However, for a smartphone that can be connected 24/7 to EDGE or 3G, the battery lasts quite awhile. I started the day at 100% then heading off to OU with EDGE on. I used Wikitude, BBM, Twitter and Facebook a whole lot and came back with around 80% of my battery still left. Not bad.




After full day of use, I really think I made a right choice with going with BB. Though, as for the Torch's build quality, I'm quite worried about the slider!


No comments:

Post a Comment