
In the world of DSLR photography, when a photog refers to "poisoning", it is when a certain photographer has a certain type of gear that produces images that will "poison" the viewers to buy that equipment.
I've been poisoned for the past 3 months (and is also probably the cause of why I studied a little less :P)
The lens above is the Canon 15-85 IS USM f3.5-5.6 EF-S lens.
Right, so it's not a constant f2.8 lens which I am acustomed to.
But given the price of the 17-55 Canon f2.8 and the need to actually hunt for a decent copy of the Sigma 17-50 f2.8, I've decided to go for the 15-85 because of it's good optical performance, wide range and of course, the USM motor.
I hope to sell my current lens and then get this lens by VBS. My Sigma has front-back focusing issues (I'm going to service it first) and of course, is heavy and not as sharp as the Canon.
The canon weighs around 575g, approx 200g lighter than my current lens. It also features Image Stablization (which comes in handy with movie and low-light).
Sure the Sigma 17-50 OS HSM features an optical stabilizer, f2.8 constant aperture and HSM motor. But my biggest concern is that to purchase a Sigma 17-50 for the price of the Canon, I'll have to order it from online stores (which is fine in terms of trust). The problem is for lens hunting, especially since Sigma has QC issues whereby if you get a bad copy, you're screwed. Getting a good copy of the Sigma 17-50 will definitely give me imba image quality (Superb rating on the mtf charts) however, I don't think I'd take the risk.
Apart from that, I plan to get the Capa quick strap since I'll be doing more walkarounds in school and perhaps at other events. The extra comfort would be great. It'll cost me RM55.
Also, a great lens will have to come with a great filter (approx RM250) and a lens hood (Canon doesn't give away free lens hoods unless it's an L-series lens).
I'll also definitely need new diffusers for my speedlite.
Looks like I'll have to wait until next time to get my battery grip.
Such an expensive hobby... But the benefits are great :D
No comments:
Post a Comment