Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Biology

A levels is tough, but it's definitely informative.

I've learned for example, why there's so much carbs in rice and plant based stuff while there's so little in chicken meat or what not. (yes it's a why, I'm not stating a fact that we've learned in form 2 science. It's an explanation)

The explanation comes from the whole idea of a food web, where energy from the sun is absorbed by photosynthesis (but only a small portion of energy is absorbed because of various factors), and then when the primary consumer eats the plant, some of the energy (biomass, I think) in the plant will be transferred to the primary consumer, which will then use energy to move around, respire and etc.

When the secondary consumers eats the primary consumer, lesser energy is gained because of the above factors and more (for one, not every part of the animal is able to be consumed)... and so forth. And that's apparently the reason why there aren't like 1000 trophic levels in a food chain/web.

So we're actually getting our energy from....the sun.

waw.

No comments:

Post a Comment